From NZ to AU: Miko Santos & Family’s Inspiring Journey – Migrating to New Zealand and moving to Australia permanently
In a world where borders are fading and opportunities are boundless, Miko Santos embodies the spirit of resilience, adaptability and unwavering determination that many Filipino immigrants bring with them as they seek a better life in a new land.
His family’s journey from the Philippines to New Zealand and eventually moving permanently to Australia, is not just a story of migration, but a testament to the power of pursuing dreams and overcoming challenges along the way.
This blog article tells Miko and his family’s migration journey that will definitely inspire you.
A Dream Awakened
Miko’s journey began in 2006 when he, along with his wife and children, moved to Wellington, New Zealand. Looking for a better quality of life in New Zealand and inspired by the majestic landscapes of the Lord of the Rings movies, they sought a better future for their children. The initial plan was to migrate to Canada, but due to the rigorous requirements, they chose New Zealand as their migration country destination.
Embracing New Horizons
While living and working in New Zealand, Miko’s wife had to travel to Melbourne, for work-related training. Although he couldn’t accompany her due to family commitments, this experience ignited the idea of moving to Australia. One day, as he explored job seeker sites and uploaded his CV, an offer from a renowned hotel chain piqued his interest. The allure of new experiences, a stable job and the chance to give his family a brighter future prompted him to make the bold decision to move to Australia.
Challenges Turned into Triumphs
Migration, however, is never without its challenges. Miko’s journey was no exception. His family’s transition to New Zealand brought about a cultural shock as it was their first time adjusting to a whole new different culture but then moving again, now to the Land Down Under also presented its own set of hurdles. The family endured financial struggles, having moved with limited resources and opportunities. But with his determination and adaptability, Miko managed to find job opportunities, first in the hospitality industry and later on in banking.
Migrating from one country to another is a significant decision, often driven by a variety of factors. New Zealand and Australia, neighboring nations, have seen a notable flow of migrants between them.
Here are the top 10 reasons why migrants choose to leave New Zealand for Australia.
1. Better Job Opportunities: Australia’s larger economy offers a wider range of job opportunities across various industries, attracting migrants seeking better career prospects and higher wages.
2. Higher Wages: The generally higher wages in Australia, combined with a lower income tax rate for some brackets, can be a strong incentive for migrants to seek better earning potential.
3. Larger Cities: Australian cities like Sydney and Melbourne offer a bigger urban experience, with more diverse cultural offerings and amenities compared to New Zealand’s smaller cities.
4. Proximity to Family: Many migrants have family members already living in Australia, making it an appealing destination to reunite with loved ones.
5. Favorable Climate: Australia’s warmer climate can be a major draw, especially for those seeking a sunnier and milder weather experience.
6. Business Opportunities: With a larger population and market, Australia provides a broader customer base and more opportunities for entrepreneurial ventures.
7. Cost of Living: In some areas of Australia, the cost of living can be lower than in certain parts of New Zealand, making it an attractive choice for those seeking affordability.
8. Career Advancement: Australia’s larger and more competitive job market can offer migrants a faster track for career growth and advancement.
9. Access to Services: Migrants often consider Australia’s extensive range of services, including healthcare, education, and infrastructure, as an advantage.
10. Cultural Diversity: Australia’s multicultural landscape can be appealing to migrants who seek exposure to a wide variety of cultures and backgrounds.
Migrants leaving New Zealand for Australia do so for a combination of reasons that span economic, social, and personal aspirations. Australia’s larger economy, job opportunities, higher wages, urban experiences, and various other factors collectively contribute to its allure as a destination for those seeking new horizons. However, each migrant’s journey is unique, and the decision to move is influenced by personal circumstances and priorities.
Building a New Community
Miko’s success was not a solitary achievement. He understood the importance of building a support network especially with other Filipino migrants who were open and kind enough to provide support and motivation. Reconnecting with an old friend in Adelaide, they found guidance, camaraderie and a sense of belonging that finally made them decide to stay in Australia for good. Miko and his family joined various community groups, helping them overcome homesickness and fostering a sense of community in their new home while also contributing their own skills, time and experiences to help other migrant families like them.
Balancing Two Worlds
As Miko found his place in Australia, he also remained connected to his Filipino roots. He made it a priority to keep the Filipino language and culture alive in his family, ensuring his children understood their heritage and proclaim proudly that they have come from a country with a rich, beautiful and diverse culture. Trips back to the Philippines and participation in local Filipino events helped maintain this connection which they believe is vital in keeping their family’s Filipino identity alive (even though they have became fully pledged Australian citizens now).
Click to set custom HTML
Lessons Learned and the Road Ahead
Reflecting on his journey, Miko shares valuable advice for future migrants: be prepared, embrace new experiences with an open mind, build connections, seek out mentors and utilise community support. He underscores the importance of education, adaptability and staying up-to-date with industry trends. Miko’s life journey demonstrates that with hard work, determination and the support of a strong community, success is attainable, even in a foreign land.
Miko Santos’ story is a reminder that the journey of a migrant is not just about moving from one place to another; it’s about weaving a new life, facing challenges head-on, celebrating victories, and giving back to the community that becomes a second family. Through his perseverance, Miko has turned his dreams into reality, creating a legacy of inspiration for generations to come and secured a bright future for his family in the generations to come.
We hope you have been inspired by Miko and his family’s migrant story in Australia. Miko currently spends his time juggling between family life, his own podcast channel and is the founder of a startup company called podworks.io, an online marketplace for podcast jobs and projects.
Listen to Miko’s podcast HERE.
Please help support our blog by sharing this story to your family and friends on social media. Thank you and all the best!
Do you know someone in Australia that has an inspiring story? Please message us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can share more inspiring stories of migrants in Australia.